If you are still deciding which career path you should pursue in Malaysia, you should seriously consider getting into information technology. Majority of the country’s citizens are connected to the web in one way or another. The startup scene in the country is also starting to pick up some steam. This means that skills and expertise that revolve around information technology are in huge demand. Below is an overview of some of the reasons why a career in the IT industry might be the right choice for you.
- It’s a fast-growing industry. Trends show that tech companies have been expanding in Malaysia during the last several years. Although most of these involve providing support for IT infrastructure and services, homegrown companies are also starting to branch out. These developments mean there are more jobs to go around.
- It’s the mecca of research, innovation, and technological development. If you are passionate about how the industry evolves, there’s no better way to keep yourself updated than to become a part of the industry itself. This is especially true if you are the creative type. The industry can serve as your outlet or platform to develop your own ideas and turn them into something concrete. Always keep in mind that the biggest tech companies out there like Facebook and Google started as tiny ideas that developed into corporate behemoths.
- There’s a variety of job opportunities that you can choose from. Whatever field or specialty that you decide to pursue, rest assured that you will be getting your fair share of opportunities. Whether you are a software programmer, a game developer, or a web designer, there’s an abundance of companies (both local and international) that are in need of your skills.
- You don’t need a degree to get into the industry. This is one of the most important benefits of working in the IT industry. Hiring managers don’t put too much attention on whether you have a degree or not. As long as you can show them that you have the skills to get the projects done, you get your fair chance of getting hired.
- You have better chances of striking out on your own. The startup scene in the country is growing and is ready to embrace you, should you decide to start your own tech company. There’s a lot of knowledgeable professionals and tech firms around that can help you get your startup off the ground.
- The window for promotion is higher compared to other industries. The great thing about the tech industry is you usually climb the corporate ladder based on your completed projects and productivity. In short, you get promoted if you are consistent in completing excellent jobs.
In a nutshell, pursuing a job in the IT industry is worth it if you are looking for a meaningful and productive career. The good news is that there’s no shortage of IT jobs in Malaysia if you know where to look. Before you start scouting for new openings, it’s highly recommended that you polish your resume to make sure that it will take the attention of an HR manager. To increase your chances of getting hired, you should take as much training as you can in your chosen field. If you do all these, finding a good and high-paying IT job shouldn’t be that difficult.